My family is often described as being pretty linguistically gifted. My dad has an impressive vocabulary, and from a young age it was a source of pride for me to have him chime in with “Good word!” while I was talking. I grew up to appreciate especially eloquent or intriguing words, though it wasn’t always easy to work them into conversation.
The trouble was that I often ended up forgetting most of the words I got praise for, making the process of learning them sort of meaningless. Thus, in an attempt to help me remember them, I present to you my Dictionary of Awesome! We’ll start with a few of my old favourites:
– Unequivocally detestable; loathsome.
– Thoroughly unpleasant or disagreeable
– To leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection or arrest.
– To consent or comply passively, or without protest.
– Of or concerning the appreciation of beauty or good taste.
– A natural attraction, liking, or feeling of kinship.
– An inherent similarity between persons or things.
– A relationship or resemblance in structure between species that suggests a common origin.
– An inability to describe emotions in a verbal manner
– To combine into a unified or integrated whole; unite.
– A type of flowering plant.
– To destroy completely; to reduce to nonexistence.
– The imminent destruction of the world and the salvation of the righteous.
– Great or total devastation; doom.
– The warmth of the sun in the winter.
– A large group of islands.
– A sea, such as the Aegean, containing a large number of scattered islands
– Fearlessly daring, bold or heedlessness of restraints.
– A self-taught person.
– A showy, usually cheap, ornament; trinket.
– Deprived of something; lacking something needed or expected.
– Jarring, discordant sound; dissonance.
– The use of harsh or discordant sounds in literary composition
– Ill-tempered and quarrelsome; disagreeable.
– Severely destructive
– Capable of burning, corroding, dissolving, or eating away by chemical action.
– A rare personal quality; personal magnetism or charm.
– Done in secret; needing to be concealed.
– A corporation made up of a number of different companies that operate in diversified fields.
– A collected mass; a cluster.
– A paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma
– Yielding or containing plenty; large in quantity; abundant.
– A goat’s horn overflowing with fruit, flowers, and grain, signifying prosperity.
– An overflowing store; an abundance
– Excessively fat
– Refinement; sophistication
– A sudden, disastrous collapse, downfall, or defeat; a rout.
– A total, often ludicrous failure.
– Any polyhedron having twelve plane faces.
– A sudden realization
– Of immense size, volume, or capacity; gigantic
– A deliberate exaggeration of speech or writing used for effect.
– Incapable of being penetrated.
– Incapable of being affected
– Impossible to satiate or satisfy
– A bunch of feathers or a plume, especially on a helmet
– Unusual or eccentric; odd.
– A dramatic or literary form of discourse in which a character talks to himself or herself or reveals his or her thoughts without addressing a listener; a specific speech or piece of writing in this form of discourse.
– The act of speaking to oneself
– Smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication
– To seize and hold by force and without legal authority.
– To take over or occupy.
Feel free to comment with your favourite words!